The goal behind Top Reviews is to inform our readers about the overall top rated services and products in each category that we cover. We want to help you save time, by not wasting it on researching hundreds of options and instead to let you focus just on the top performers in each category.
Top Car Insurance Companies
The best auto insurance companies have more than just competitive prices; they also offer versatile coverage options, superior customer service, a solid financial report, and an excellent shopping experience. We researched all of those factors and discovered that only four of the nation’s biggest insurers really fit the bill and are good enough to recommend to family and friends.
To figure out the best options, we used the following weights for our scoring:
Our Best Overall Winner - State Farm
State Farm is the largest car insurance company in the nation, per Insurance Journal in 2016. Fortunately, it’s also one of the best - especially when it comes to the customer service experience. In 2015, State Farm received high praise from J.D. Power for its service interaction and claims handling. And of all the insured drivers I surveyed, it received the most positive remarks by far.
It is incredibly easy to get in touch with State Farm. You can call one of the company’s 18,000 agents, go online, or even send a picture of your damaged car with your smartphone using the Pocket Agent mobile app. Compare that to Amica, which doesn’t allow you to connect with an agent via an app, or file a claim through an agent. State Farm also gets high marks for a pain-free shopping experience that lets prospective customers call their local agent or chat with a representative online if they have any questions.
- Superior claims handling: No other insurer makes it easier to file a claim - a fact corroborated by its high service rating, 18,000 agents nationwide, and excellent mobile app. Sure, most other auto insurers offer the basic trifecta of phone, app, and email contact to agents, but State Farm’s is the easiest to use by far.
- Great financial standing: State Farm has an A.M. Best outlook of stable, and a “Superior” overall rating - the highest given.
- Best online quote tool: Out of all the competition, State Farm has the simplest online quote tool. In less than five minutes, it’ll guide you completely through the process, replete with thorough examples of coverage options.
- Missing a few common driver discounts: Like Amica, State Farm lacks two extremely common discounts: pay-in-full, and automatic pay. These two discounts don’t save a ton of money, but are definitely nice options to have - and are offered by our third pick, The Hartford.
- Lacks a couple of important coverages: Unlike its competitors, State Farm doesn’t offer stacked uninsured motorist or new car replacement coverages. That could be a deal breaker for someone who lives in a state with an incredibly high rate of uninsured drivers.
Runner Up - USAA
USAA would have been our overall winner if it wasn't for the fact that they are only available to service members and their families. Their rates are much lower than the competition and the quality of service is top notch. So if you qualify for their service, we urge you to go with them, when it comes to insurance its really a no brainer decision.
- Rated no. 1 nationally for purchase experience: USAA received the only perfect score in J.D. Power’s 2016 report.
- Solid financial stability: A.M. Best gives USAA the highest possible stability rating: “Superior.”
- Membership restrictions: USAA is only available to members of the military and their immediate family.